Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

Please humor me with my recipes, since the blog is my way of scrapbooking and journaling, I have decided to post recipes when the girls and I are in the kitchen and then one day I can print them out and have a great "cookbook" to pass along...


The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks of margarine, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
2 eggs


2 1/4 cups self rising flour
1 bag chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix first six ingredients together using an electric mixer until well blended.

Add flour to mixture a little at a time until blended. Add bag and chips and mix using a spoon.

Drop by spoonfuls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet, bake 10 - 12 minutes. Do not bake too long, bake until they are slightly brown. After you take them out of the oven, gently drop the pan onto the counter top to "set" the cookies (this is a tip from Travis from his Arby's days). This recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies.

You can see our cookies on the sheet behind the girls as they enjoy licking the beaters. This cookie sheet is very special to me; this was Aunt Brenda's cookie sheet. Aunt Brenda always made everyone a tin a Christmas goodies each year and she and Nannie had been baking some of those goodies before the power went out, two years ago. I will never forget, on the Thursday before they went Home we had dropped by to visit (Stephen and Kyle were there too). Nannie had hot chocolate heating on their kerosene heater and we were all just sitting in the living room talking and Nannie brought out a container of some of Aunt Brenda's goodies, we were all so excited to get a early taste. I can see Aunt Brenda smiling now as everyone enjoyed her wonderful cookies and I can hear Papa saying, "Hey, what about me?" as Nannie passed out the goodies and passed him by and Nannie answering, "You don't need any!" That was the last time I sat in their living room with them; Samuel spent that afternoon with them and helped them make crafts for the nursing home and was protected by God that day. On that same day when I went back to get Samuel, Nannie and I laughed as she was trying to open a can of soup with the electric can opener hanging under their cabinet (which I also tried to get, but Papa had screwed that thing into the cabinet so that it was not coming down!). Each time I use the cookie sheet God brings back that wonderful memory and this past week I was able to share my wonderful memory with my girls.

Thanks for letting me share it with you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this! What a great memory - I didn't know about you guys getting to eat some of her cookies that day.

The Rackroom Crew said...

Isn't it funny that some of the everyday things we do, keeps the memories close to our hearts. I am going to try to print off the chocolate chip cookie recipe and put it in my cookbook so I can remember also.
Love Aunt Cindy
Miss you guys!!!

Jerry & Kerrie said...

i want your cookbook!!!!! HA HA HA I just love all those little things that bring such good memories!!!