Monday, December 31, 2007

I've Got a Golden Ticket

On Friday, December 21 we left Memama's and Granddaddy's around lunch time to headed on a road trip. Our first stop was Bryson City, NC to ride The Polar Express. During our train ride we had hot cocoa and a yummy snack and read The Polar Express while on they way to "The North Pole" to pick up Santa. Just let me share this fun ride with you, through pictures.
After our train ride we had supper together and Aunt Amanda and Uncle Les and Seth headed back home and the rest of us headed to Pigeon Forge for the night. Two Grandfathers, whose names will not be mentioned for protection, have GPS systems; we were following these two grandfathers. Now Pigeon Forge is 40 miles from Bryson City, but we went 35 miles the other way to get on I-40. I had a Christmas (or should I say anniversary) melt-down when I saw the sign for Ashville - 23 miles. Travis and I had plans on stealing an hour away at Starbucks to celebrate our anniversary, but it was getting too late and I realized that that would not happen, only if I had known what was coming. We were traveling down I-40 and Aunt Amanda called to say they were home - we weren't even close. We finally arrived at our motel in Pigeon Forge and pulled up to three police cars parked in front of the motel. Travis and Granddaddy went inside to check-in and to make sure everything was alright. They were informed that is was just a "Christmas spat" between two couples. We got checked in and was just ready to go to our room and just go to sleep. We started backing up and BAM! we backed right into a dark car that was parked in the road with no lights on because the police were blocking the other side of the motel entrance. That was just the icing on my anniversary cake! Lucky, the police were already there and that process did not take too long.

Let me back up a bit...Travis had become quit jealous of the Grandfather's GPS systems and had asked a couple of times for one for Christmas. Before this night, I had been feeling guilty and was going to get him one for Father's Day. Once everything had settled down, I broke the news to him that I had seen two men who have great sense of direction take us all over North Carolina and Tennessee to go 40 miles, there was no way I was getting him a GPS system.

He agreed with me - but the funny part is: Popeye and Mammy got us a Tom-Tom for Christmas!

Once the kids were all asleep and things were settled down our anniversary was over. We haven't had a chance to go out yet, but when we do, I will savor the moments with my wonderful, patience, loving husband who can now get anywhere in the country!

No comments: